To be eligible to vote, memberships must be purchased by 5 PM on September 29, 2017. Members will also be required to register to vote and provide proof of identity (as required by the Agreement in Principle) by 5 PM on October 13, 2017. There are two ways to register:
- By completing an online registration at https://www.unitedconservative.ca/register or
- By completing a paper registration form and mailing it, together with photocopies of acceptable identification, to the UCP office. Your form must be received at the UCP office by 5 PM on October 13, 2017.
- Calgary – September 20
- Edmonton – September 28
- Red Deer – October 3
- Fort McMurray – October 12
- Lethbridge – October 17
Results of the leadership election will be announced shortly after the vote closes on October 28 at The Metropolitan Centre in Calgary. More detail on this event will be shared at a later date.
The Leadership Election Committee (LEC) has released the following process and rules for the 2017 Leadership Election Contest. United Conservative Party members will be able to elect the new leader of our party on-line or on the phone over a three-day period beginning at 9 AM October 26 and ending at 5 PM on October 28, 2017.
Contestants for the leadership must have been a member of the UCP or one of the legacy parties for at least six months prior to filing an application and support the principles outlined in the Agreement in Principle. The entry fee for contestants is $75,000. Applications for entry must be made to the Leadership Election Committee no later than 5 PM on September 12, 2017.
The cost for entry to the leadership race was considered carefully by the LEC. They decided to adopt a different approach from the recent PC Alberta and Conservative Party of Canada leadership contests, both of which required an entry fee and a percentage of contributions raised by contestants. For example, the March 2017 PC Alberta leadership fee was $30,000 plus 15% of contributions received. Including both the entry fee and the share of contributions to his campaign, the winner of that contest paid PC Alberta a total of $283,423 (excluding membership sales). A single entry fee provides cost certainty to leadership contestants and revenue certainty to the party to run the leadership process.
WHY DOES THE UCP REQUIRE I SEND PHOTO ID TO REGISTER?
The registration process is an online version of showing your ID when you line up to vote at a voting station. The process is to prove your identity and your right to vote, and also to ensure each member only receives one voting PIN. The United Conservative Party only requires this information for registration and all information will be destroyed after any appeal proceedings have been closed and the election of a leader for the United Conservative party is complete. This process complies with privacy legislation and will be audited.
WHO HAS BEEN SELECTED TO AUDIT THE PROCESS?
Dorward & Company is an Alberta-based Chartered Professional Accountant firm and has been hired to audit the voting process for us.
HOW WILL THE UCP SAFEGUARD MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
- ID/evidence is uploaded and stored in an encrypted format
- UCP staff must be provided with special security permissions in order to access the evidence
- The system creates an audit record any time a piece of evidence is viewed - including the user who viewed it
- The evidence will be stored in an encrypted format for the duration of the race
- The evidence will be destroyed following the completion of the race and any subsequent reviews/audits of the vote
WHEN WILL I GET MY VOTING PIN?
Voting PIN distribution will begin after the registration process is closed. Expect to receive your PIN by the method you chose when you registered (i.e. phone call, text message or email) between October 24 – 26th, 2017.
WHY CAN’T I HAVE MY PIN SENT BY MAIL?
Email, phone call or text message is the most efficient way to deliver voting PINs and allows for shorter deadlines before the actual leadership vote.
ABSENTEE VOTING AND ADVANCED POLLS
Voting is done online or by telephone, so as long as you have access to either one of those methods you can vote, regardless of where you will be when voting occurs between 9 am on October 26 and 5 PM on October 28. As a result, advanced polls are not required.
I’M HAVING TROUBLE USING THE ONLINE REGISTRATION SYSTEM
Please try the following steps:
- Make changes in your internet browser:
- Browser settings for Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox are located in the top right-hand corner of your computer
- Browser settings for Safari or other browsers on a Mac computer can be found in the top left-hand corner of your computer under Safari and then preferences.
- In the browser settings, ensure that cookies and popups are enabled.
- Clear the cache on your computer.
- Pause ad or script blockers while completing the registration.
- Accessing the registration site using browser’s incognito (Chrome), private browsing (Firefox) or InPrivate (Edge and Internet Explorer) mode may also resolve completion issues.
Your ID must be in PDF, JPG or PNG file format and less 4 MB in size. Try resizing the photo. For some helpful tips on converting, go to http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-Pictures-To-JPEG
If the above steps do not work, please print the downloadable version of the registration form.
You can also call our office at 1-888-465-2660. When calling, please know we are experiencing large call volumes and will endeavour to call you back as soon as possible.
I DID NOT RECEIVE THE EMAIL INFORMATION ABOUT REGISTRATION. WHAT DO I DO?
This page will be updated with all information related to the registration process.
CAN I REGISTER IN PERSON?
Unfortunately, we do not have in-person registration sites. If you are struggling to complete your registration online, we encourage you to:
- Ask a neighbor, friend or relative for help
- Download and print the registration form and send it to your office (4317 – 23B Street Calgary T2E 7V9 – but note, registrations must be RECEIVED at the office by 5 PM on Oct 13, 2017)
- Reach out to the leadership campaign of your choice and ask for help. You can find contact information for campaigns above under Leadership Contestants.